Difference between revisions of "Application Process"
m (1 revision)
Revision as of 05:14, 12 June 2015
Who should apply?
Our target audience is undergraduates of all levels majoring in mathematics, statistics, computer science, or related areas.
Accepted students spend ten weeks at Marquette University; in 2015, the program runs June 1st to August 7th.
Applications for 2015 are now open. The application deadline is February 15.
Applicants to the Marquette MSCS Summer REU Program should:
- Take a look at the list of potential research projects on the Main Page,
- Read through the requirements below,
- Write or e-mail us with any questions, and
- Send us a complete application by the February deadline for full consideration.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident,
- Be unemployed for the ten weeks of the program, or on leave / not actively working, and
- Be an undergraduate student in good standing in a major related to mathematics, statistics, or computer science.
After applying and being accepted into the REU program, students will:
- Be matched with faculty mentors and research groups based upon their specified interests and general background,
- Contribute to an ongoing research project with faculty and other students, and
- Present progress to peers and other interested parties, ranging from informal REU lunch gatherings to formal
REU students will receive:
- A stipend of $500 per week ($5,000 for 10 weeks)
- Allowance for food
- Allowance for professional conference registration and travel
- Housing on campus at Marquette
(Accepted Non-Marquette students are guaranteed campus housing if they apply; current Marquette students may apply for housing support if slots remain.)
REU students will be expected to:
- Commit at least 40 hours per week for 10 weeks to MSCS REU activities,
- Attend weekly lab meetings,
- Attend bi-weekly REU participant meetings,
- Participate in weekly research paper discussion groups,
- Prepare weekly progress reports on REU activities,
- Present a mid-term progress report for the last week of June,
- Prepare a submission for and attend the REU poster session at the end of July,
- Present a final oral research talk in the last week of the program,
- Submit a final research report in the last week of the program, and
- Participate in concluding surveys and interviews at the end of the program.
Applications for the Marquette MSCS Summer REU Program should be e-mailed to brylow-reu at mscs dott mu dot edu with the subject header "MSCS REU".
A complete application will include:
- A completed CISE REU Common Application (completed online),
- A two page essay on your interests in the fields of mathematics, statistics, or computer science, your goals for the future, and your goals for a summer REU position (in PDF format),
- A current college transcript, and
- Recommendation letters from two references who can speak to your qualifications or potential. At least one of these references should be a faculty member at your home institution.
Reference letter writers should submit their letters directly by e-mail in PDF format as above. Transcripts may be sent electronically (electronic scans of your transcript are permissible) or by mail to:
REU Selection Committee c/o Dr. Dennis Brylow
MSCS Dept - Cudahy Hall
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881