Who should apply?
Our target audience is undergraduates of all levels majoring in mathematics, statistics, computer science, or related areas.
Accepted students spend ten weeks at Marquette University; in 2016, the program runs May 31st to August 5th.
Applications for 2016 are now open. The application deadline is
February 19, 2016 extended until March 11, 2016.
Applicants to the Marquette MSCS Summer REU Program should:
- Take a look at the list of potential research projects on the Main Page,
- Read through the requirements below,
- Write or e-mail us with any questions, and
- Send us a complete application by the February deadline for full consideration.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident,
- Be unemployed for the ten weeks of the program, or on leave / not actively working, and
- Be an undergraduate student in good standing in a major related to mathematics, statistics, or computer science.
After applying and being accepted into the REU program, students will:
- Be matched with faculty mentors and research groups based upon their specified interests and general background,
- Contribute to an ongoing research project with faculty and other students, and
- Present progress to peers and other interested parties, ranging from informal REU lunch gatherings to formal
REU students will receive:
- A stipend of $500 per week ($5,000 for 10 weeks)
- Allowance for food
- Allowance for professional conference registration and travel
- Housing on campus at Marquette
(Accepted Non-Marquette students are guaranteed campus housing if they apply; current Marquette students may apply for housing support if slots remain.)
REU students will be expected to:
- Commit at least 40 hours per week for 10 weeks to MSCS REU activities,
- Attend weekly lab meetings,
- Attend bi-weekly REU participant meetings,
- Participate in weekly research paper discussion groups,
- Prepare weekly progress reports on REU activities,
- Present a mid-term progress report for the last week of June,
- Prepare a submission for and attend the REU poster session at the end of July,
- Present a final oral research talk in the last week of the program,
- Submit a final research report in the last week of the program, and
- Participate in concluding surveys and interviews at the end of the program.
Applications for the Marquette MSCS Summer REU Program should be e-mailed to email@example.com with the subject header "MSCS REU".
A complete application will include:
- A completed CISE REU Common Application (completed online),
- A two page essay on your interests in the fields of mathematics, statistics, or computer science, your goals for the future, and your goals for a summer REU position (in PDF format),
- A current college transcript, and
- Recommendation letters from two references who can speak to your qualifications or potential. At least one of these references should be a faculty member at your home institution.
Reference letter writers should submit their letters directly by e-mail in PDF format as above. Transcripts may be sent electronically (electronic scans of your transcript are permissible) or by mail to:
REU Selection Committee c/o Dr. Dennis Brylow
MSCS Dept - Cudahy Hall
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881