Who should apply?
Our target audience is undergraduates of all levels majoring in data science, computer science, mathematics or related areas.
Accepted students spend ten weeks at Marquette University; in 2021, the program runs June 1st to August 6th. We expect to run the program on-campus, however due to uncertainty of the pandemic, we may move the program to virtual. The decision to be in-person or virtual will be made by the end of March 2021. Please note the program will run either completely in-person or online, but not a mix of both because of preserving the best possible cohort experience for the students.
Applications for 2021 are now open. The application deadline is February 15, 2021.
Applicants to the Marquette Data Science Summer REU Program should:
- Take a look at the list of potential research projects on the Main Page,
- Read through the requirements below,
- Write or e-mail us with any questions, and
- Send us a complete application by the deadline for full consideration.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident,
- Be unemployed for the ten weeks of the program, or on leave / not actively working, and
- Be an undergraduate student in good standing in a major related to data science, computer science, mathematics.
After applying and being accepted into the REU program, students will:
- Be matched with faculty mentors and research groups based upon their specified interests and general background,
- Contribute to an ongoing research project with faculty and other students, and
- Present progress to peers and other interested parties, ranging from informal REU lunch gatherings to formal
REU students will receive:
- A stipend of $600 per week ($6,000 for 10 weeks)
- Allowance for food
- Allowance for professional conference registration and travel
- Housing on campus at Marquette
(Accepted Non-Marquette students are guaranteed campus housing if they apply; current Marquette students may apply for housing support if slots remain.)
REU students will be expected to:
- Commit at least 40 hours per week for 10 weeks to Data Science REU activities,
- Attend weekly lab meetings,
- Attend bi-weekly REU participant meetings,
- Participate in weekly research paper discussion groups,
- Prepare weekly progress reports on REU activities,
- Present a mid-term progress report for the last week of June,
- Prepare a submission for and attend the REU poster session at the end of July,
- Present a final oral research talk in the last week of the program,
- Submit a final research report in the last week of the program, and
- Participate in concluding surveys and interviews at the end of the program.
Applications for the Marquette Data Science Summer REU Program should be e-mailed to email@example.com with the subject header "Data Science REU".
Applications for Summer 2021 are open now.
A complete application will include:
- A completed CISE REU Common Application (completed online),
- A two page essay on your interests in the field of data science, your goals for the future, and your goals for a summer REU position (in PDF format),
- A current college transcript, and
- Recommendation letters from two references who can speak to your qualifications or potential. At least one of these references should be a faculty member at your home institution.
Reference letter writers should submit their letters directly by e-mail in PDF format as above. Transcripts may be sent electronically (electronic scans of your transcript are permissible) or by mail to:
reu at marquette.edu
REU Selection Committee c/o Dr. Praveen Madiraju
CS Dept - Cudahy Hall
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881