Welcome to the Marquette University Data Science REU Wiki
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site : Data Science Across Disciplines
June 1 - August 7, 2020
Sponsored by National Science Foundation Award#1950826
Hosted by Marquette University—Department of Computer Science, Milwaukee, WI
It is now well established that there is a critical need for data science researchers who can think creatively to solve problems in interdisciplinary fields such as healthcare, social science, and exercise science. Further, there exists scarcity of workforce and opportunities to train the next generation of researchers to tackle the problems in data science. To address the scarcity, this Data Science Across Disciplines Research Experiences for Undergraduates Site (DSAD-REU) will immerse undergraduate students in an interdisciplinary research-intensive training and mentoring program.
Our mentor research areas lie in all of these areas, as well as in how people learn to work in these fields, and how we prepare the next generation of students to explore data science.
- Research themes/projects from different areas in data science such as core data science, exercise science, healthcare, social science and spatial analytics.
- 3-day mini boot camp on introduction to data science (first week of the program).
- Mentoring by researchers at Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI.
- Professional and leadership development opportunities.
- Poster presentation, technical report and publication opportunities.
Data Science REU Summer 2020 Flyer
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Discovering Significant Pathways of Gene Regulation. Mentor Dr. Serdar Bozdag
- Inferring Cancer-Specific MicroRNA-gene Networks. Mentor Dr. Serdar Bozdag
- An Integrated Framework for Identifying Context-Specific Gene-Drug Interactions. Mentor Dr. Serdar Bozdag
- Reverse Engineering Gene Regulatory Networks by Integrating Multiple Types of High-Dimensional Biological Datasets. Mentor Dr. Serdar Bozdag
- SUPREME: A Cancer Subtype Prediction Methodology by Integrating High-Dimensional Biological Datasets. Mentor Dr. Serdar Bozdag
High Performance Computing and Computational Science:
- Deep Learning and Energy Forecasting. Mentors: GasDay Laboratory's Dr. Richard Povinelli, Dr. George Corliss, Dr. Ron Brown, Tom Quinn
- Accelerating Geo-Spatial Computations Using High Performance Computing. Mentor Dr. Satish Puri
Embedded, Mobile, and Ubiquitous Systems:
- Embedded Xinu Operating System on Raspberry Pi. Mentor Dr. Dennis Brylow
- Self-Contained Solar Energy Experiment Kits. Mentors Dr. Dennis Brylow and Dr. Lisa Bosman.
- Personalizing Places of Interest Using Social Media Analysis. Mentor Dr. Praveen Madiraju
- Complex Activity Recognition. Mentor Dr. Iqbal Ahamed
- Intrusion Detection in Swarm Robotics. Mentor Dr. Debbie Perouli
- Cyber Security Vulnerabilities in Avionics Networking. Mentor Dr. Debbie Perouli
- Networking in Electronic Financial Markets. Mentor Dr. Debbie Perouli
Applied Mathematical Modeling:
- Using Gaussian Stochastic Processes (GaSP) for Hazard Mapping. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- Risk Modeling for Pyroclastic Volcano Flows. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- Data Assimilation For Fluid Dynamic Models. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- The Role of Leptin in Fat, Inflammation and the Immune System. Mentor: Dr. Stephen Merrill
- Characteristics of the (i,j)-Step Competition Graphs of Real Food Webs. Mentor Dr. Kim Factor