I'm Charlie Repaci, a senior at Simmons University studying Data Science, with a special interest in Biochemistry and Sociology. Over this summer I am working with Dr. Shion Guha and doctoral candidate Devansh Saxena on Developing Ethical Algorithms for Placement Stability in the Foster Care System.
Week 1 June 1 to June 7 - Orientation
- Introduction to other mentors, mentees, and REU heads Dr. Praveen Madiraju and Dr. Dennis Brylow - Review of REU calendar and expectations
- Data Science Bootcamp (talk by Dr. Madiraju)
- Introduction and basics of data analysis with python (Anaconda and Jypyter Notebook) - Read in data - Pre-processing - Modeling - Data visualization
- Good Research Practices (talk by Dr. Brylow) - Literature Review
- [A Human-Centered Review of Algorithms used within the U.S. Child Welfare System](https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3313831.3376229) - [Toward Algorithmic Accountability in Public Services: A Qualitative Study of Affected Community Perspectives on Algorithmic Decision-making in Child Welfare Services](https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3290605.3300271) - [Child Welfare System: Interaction of Policy, Practice, and Algorithms](https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3323994.3369888) - (Supplementary) [Risk vs. Restriction: The Tension between Providing a Sense of Normalcy and Keeping Foster Teens Safe Online](https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3290605.3300497)