Revision as of 04:08, 16 July 2019 by Lmurphy9 (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Week 1: May 28 - May 31
Had orientation and met other REU students.
Began researching the raspberry pi 1 version of the framebuffer.
I got the graphical shell working on the raspberry pi 1.
Unfortunately, we ran into an issue where we could compile the kernel, but the kernel didn't link due to missing ARM opcodes in the trig and turtle libraries in the raspberry pi 3 B+ version of Xinu.
Thankfully, we found the issue to be that we didn't enable the FPU (Floating-Point Unit) and use the proper ABI (Application Binary Interface) version. This resolved our linking issue.
Week 2: June 3 - June 7
Read past papers on Xinu research.
Finished implementing the graphics driver, added support for colors in the shell, and fixed issues with the minishell displaying under the turtle sandbox window.
Began looking through existing shell documentation in preparation for building a tmux-style program for displaying multiple shell windows.
Successfully implemented a system of abstraction whereby the user can spawn and kill multiple discrete shell processes.
More investigation is being done into devising an abstraction for allowing each shell to be treated as a separate output device.
Week 3: June 10 - June 14
Attempted to devise a method to display shell processes concurrently
My attempt turned out to be unsuccessful. More research into device drivers was needed
Reviewed legacy windowing code from an old version of Xinu
Week 4: June 17 - June 21
Began porting legacy code from the PowerPC version of Xinu
Week 5: June 24 - June 28
Continued porting legacy code from the PowerPC version of Xinu
Week 6: July 1 - July 5
Finished porting legacy code from the PowerPC version of Xinu
Began testing newly ported code
Got preliminary results: several issues with output speed.
Began debugging code. Possible sources of speed issue may lie in critical systems including hardware interrupts and memory
Week 7: July 8 - July 12
Traced speed issue down and fixed the appropriate sections of code
Began working the problem of spawning and displaying discrete shell processes inside of the panes
Wrote input upper half to pane device driver
Got rough shell output in discrete panes
Week 8: July 15 - July 19
Began debugging bad shell output. Trying to track down output formatting issues
Began writing a process that allows for swapping typing between opened panes
Week 9: July 22 - July 26
Week 10: July 29 - July 2