My name is Trisha Handley. I am currently a senior at Alabama State University finishing up my B.S. degree in Mathematics. For this Summer 2015 research I had that chance to work with Dr. Kim Factor on Minimizing Total Distance in Sudoku Number Entry.
MSCS REU Summer 2015 Research
Minimizing Total Distance in Sudoku Number Entry
Week One: June 1-June 5, 2015
- Attend orientations for REU program
- Read "The Biology and Mathematics of Food Webs"
- Attend weekly talk by Dr. Kim Factor
- Start literature search on Graph Theory and applications to Sudoku
Week Two: June 8-June 12, 2015
- Have meeting with mentor pertaining to literature search
- Reading and interpreting "Introduction to Graph Theory" by Gary Chartrand and Ping Zhang
- Participate in weekly talk given by Dr. Kim Factor
- Meet with mentor to discuss the readings and ask questions
- Begin finding the distances of same numbers on Sudoku grids.
- Download LaTeX
Week Three: June 15-June 19, 2015
- Constructing graphs to represent the distance of the same number on Suduko grid
- Finished Reading and interpreting "Introduction to Graph Theory" by Gary Chartrand and Ping Zhang
- Meet with Dr. Factor and research group to discuss the readings and ask questions over lunch
- Reconstruct graphs after receiving guidance in mentor meeting
- Responsible Conduct of Research Workshop
- Watch tutorials on how to use Latex