- 1 About Me
- 2 Progress
- 2.1 Week 1 - May 29 to June 3
- 2.2 Week 2 - June 4 to June 10
- 2.3 Week 3 - June 11 to June 17
- 2.4 Week 4 - June 18 to June 24
- 2.5 Week 5 - June 25 to July 1
- 2.6 Week 6 - July 2 to July 8
- 2.7 Week 9 - July 9 to July 15
- 2.8 Week 10 - July 16 to July 22
- 2.9 Week 11 - July 23 to July 29
I'm a Computer Science student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus.
Week 1 - May 29 to June 3
- Created my wiki page.
- Talked with Dr. Dennis Brylow about possible research areas.
- Installed the MUzECS platform and got it working.
- Began searching for papers on Block-Based programming.
- Me and Sam Olson created a page for the project we're working on: Advancing via MUzECS Platform.
- Read 2 papers. One based on the Scratch programming interface and another paper based on Snap! high school students' transitions to Java.
- Attempted to get MUzEC's most recent Chromebook web app to work. No success yet.
- Received a very informative paper from Dr. Brylow and read it. It's about how blocks impact the learnability of languages.
Week 2 - June 4 to June 10
- Looked up and started learning about Blockly and its alternatives.
- Attended the Responsible Conduct of Research training.
- Sam and I came up with a research question and other considerations for the project.
- Was able to run the latest MUzECS code on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Having issues recognizing the Arduino port on Chromebooks.
- Began learning how to use the Johnny-Five library for Node.js.
Week 3 - June 11 to June 17
- Continued understanding MUzECS source code.
- Kept on attempting to get the Chromebook to work with last version of MUzECS. It still does not appear in the "Serial Ports".
- Tried it in normal mode and developer mode.
- Tried it after a factory reset, and both modes after reset.
- Tried all Chromebook channels.
- Tried "lsusb" in developer mode, the board does appear there.
- Tried connecting with other Chromebook applications, none of them work.
- Did the ethics quizzes that were required for the REU. Still have to do the assignments.
- Tried to use another Chromebook, it still doesn't work.
- Talked to Dr. Brylow and considered the possibility of changing research question due to the difficulty of obtaining the required information during this summer.
Week 4 - June 18 to June 24
- Decided to do these things weekly instead of daily since I don't remember what I did the 15th.
- Got the Adafruit Circuit Playground working in the MUzECS chrome app for a basic LED example. Now we need to get the Firmata downloader working.
- Added some source code for AVRgirl-Arduino to support Adafruit Circuit Playground.
- Got avrgirl-arduino to work with circuit playground.
- Got the MUzECS software to work with the circuit playground. Both the "download firmata" and some of the other code.
Week 5 - June 25 to July 1
- Made a pull request for Avrgirl-Arduino. The code we made supports Circuit Playground Classic.
- Found out about the Circuit Playground Express, currently out of stock, but is similar to MUzECS and works offline with MakeCode.
- Worked on the mini presentation.
- Gave the mini presentation.
Week 6 - July 2 to July 8
- Found out how to add and remove blockly blocks in the source code.
- Found a nodejs library that helps out with Circuit Playground peripherals: 'playground-io', attempting to get that working in the Chrome app. This library has to run and be installed in the user-created app, not just the overall project.
Week 9 - July 9 to July 15
- Instead of using 'playground-io', opted to manually set the circuit playground's peripheral's.
- We got the piezo speaker to work.
- We got the light sensor to work.
- We got the thermometer to work.
- We have attempted to get the accelerometer to work with different controllers and by using snippets of the playground-io source code without success.
- We realized that the Sound Sensor suddenly makes the Button 4 to stop working. Asked on Stack Overflow.
- We got the RGB LEDs to work.
Week 10 - July 16 to July 22
- Working on a paper to submit to the "Blocks and Beyond Workshop"
- Got the accelerometer to work. Haven't implemented the code in the Chrome App yet.
Week 11 - July 23 to July 29
- Fixed a bug in accelerometer code. Did not assume little endian readings.
- Finished paper. We submitted it to Blocks and Beyond Workshop.
- Finished poster and submitted it.
- Finished slides presentation, draft at least. Won't call it a draft the day of the presentation.