Note : Our REU program for Summer 2024 is being reviewed for renewal. We will know by the end of January 2024, if the program will run.
Welcome to the Marquette University Data Science REU Wiki
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site : Data Science Across Disciplines
May 30 - August 4, 2023
Sponsored by National Science Foundation Award#1950826
Hosted by Marquette University—Department of Computer Science, Milwaukee, WI
It is now well established that there is a critical need for data science researchers who can think creatively to solve problems in interdisciplinary fields such as healthcare, social science, and exercise science. Further, there exists scarcity of workforce and opportunities to train the next generation of researchers to tackle the problems in data science. To address the scarcity, this Data Science Across Disciplines Research Experiences for Undergraduates Site (DSAD-REU) will immerse undergraduate students in an interdisciplinary research-intensive training and mentoring program.
Our mentor research areas lie in all of these areas, as well as in how people learn to work in these fields, and how we prepare the next generation of students to explore data science.
- Research themes/projects from different areas in data science such as core data science, exercise science, healthcare, social science and spatial analytics.
- 3-day mini boot camp on introduction to data science (first week of the program).
- Mentoring by researchers at Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI.
- Professional and leadership development opportunities.
- Poster presentation, technical report and publication opportunities.
Data Science REU Summer 2023
We expect to run the program in-person at Marquette University campus in 2023.
- Predict Risk of Opioid Use Disorder. Mentor Dr. Praveen Madiraju
- Clinical report writing – Analysis of uncertainty terms and usage of medical ontologies. Mentor Dr. Priya Deshpande
- PEER SURE App: A Peer Supported Substance Use Research and Education Web Application with Generative AI. Mentor Dr. Praveen Madiraju
Data Science Algorithms Ethics, Fairness and HCI:
- Investigating the effectiveness of chatGPT’s storytelling to provide support for postpartum mental health problems. Mentor Dr. Sabirat Rubya
- The Zuckerberg Files: Analyzing the Discourse of Mark Zuckerberg. Mentor Dr. Michael Zimmer
- Ending Local and Regional Food Shortages using Community-Engaged Data Science. Mentor Dr. Walt Bialkowski
- Generative AI for Crowdfunding: Promises and Pitfalls. Mentor Dr. Larry Zhiming Xu
Security and Privacy:
- Cybersecurity, AI, and Machine Learning. Mentor Dr. Tom Kaczmarek
- Privacy-Preserving Machine Learning Inference with Zero-Knowledge Proofs. Mentor Dr. Mumin Cebe
Computer Science Education:
- Modeling the Spread of K-12 Computer Science in Wisconsin. Mentor Dr. Dennis Brylow
- Assessment of an Automated Assessment Tool for Entry-Level Computer Science Courses. Mentor Dr. Tahmidul Islam