Welcome to the Marquette University Data Science REU Wiki
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site : Data Science Across Disciplines
May 31 - August 5, 2022
Sponsored by National Science Foundation Award#1950826
Hosted by Marquette University—Department of Computer Science, Milwaukee, WI
It is now well established that there is a critical need for data science researchers who can think creatively to solve problems in interdisciplinary fields such as healthcare, social science, and exercise science. Further, there exists scarcity of workforce and opportunities to train the next generation of researchers to tackle the problems in data science. To address the scarcity, this Data Science Across Disciplines Research Experiences for Undergraduates Site (DSAD-REU) will immerse undergraduate students in an interdisciplinary research-intensive training and mentoring program.
Our mentor research areas lie in all of these areas, as well as in how people learn to work in these fields, and how we prepare the next generation of students to explore data science.
- Research themes/projects from different areas in data science such as core data science, exercise science, healthcare, social science and spatial analytics.
- 3-day mini boot camp on introduction to data science (first week of the program).
- Mentoring by researchers at Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI.
- Professional and leadership development opportunities.
- Poster presentation, technical report and publication opportunities.
Data Science REU Summer 2022 Flyer
We expect to run the program in-person at Marquette University campus in 2022.
Please find the Data Science REU Summer 2022 flyer in pdf and jpg formats.
Click here to learn about the Application Process.
Data Science Algorithms Ethics, Fairness and HCI:
- The Zuckerberg Files: Analyzing the Discourse of Mark Zuckerberg. Mentor Dr. Michael Zimmer
- Improving Online Shopping Experience with Digital Voice Assistants. Mentor Dr. Sabirat Rubya
- Assessing the Framing and Priorities of Data Science Programs. Mentor Dr. Michael Zimmer
- Optimizing Food Distribution to Rural Communities Facing Food Insecurity . Mentor Dr. Walt Bialkowski
- Predicting Donations in Ukraine Crowdfunding Projects. Mentor Dr. Larry Zhiming Xu
- Milwaukee County Electronic Monitoring of Juvenile Defendants Project. Mentor Dr.Darren Wheelock
- Is the organizational digital divide geographical? . Mentor Dr. Amrita George
Privacy and Security:
Computer Science Education:
High Performance Computing and Computational Science:
Projects from Previous Years
All inquiries may be routed to the site coordinators, Dr. Praveen Madiraju or Dr. Dennis Brylow.